I went on a short business trip last week and my body just got all out of whack as a result of the trip. I didn’t sleep well in an unfamiliar hotel room, I ate new/weird/rich foods and I drank too much coffee. My body was not happy with me and I felt miserable and so I decided to try a cleanse to see if I could get things back on track. I googled “cleanse” and Dr. Oz’s 48-hour cleanse popped up. I felt that this cleanse seemed feasible for me because it actually involves eating food, not just drinking juices. It is simply a meal plan that focuses on fruits and vegetables and who couldn’t use a day of an excessive amount of produce? I began the day with quinoa with prunes, which I must say tasted about as delicious as it sounds (not very, in my opinion). I continued with a smoothie and lots of fruit and veggie snacks and ended with a delicious all vegetable soup. Things really went quite well and I must say, I felt so much better. However, in the middle of my virtuous day of eating super clean, I decided to make these babies.
Yeah, good move. Girl with no will power tempts herself with the most chocolatey, melty, gooey brownies known to man on the one day she decides to “do a cleanse”! I have to tell you, I did not even have a bite of them that day! This is a huge feat for me people! One small step for (wo)man, one giant step for sweet teeth everywhere, or at least in my kitchen! I set one aside for my husband to have after his dinner and I literally asked him if he could sit by me while he ate it so I could live vicariously through each bite he took!!
I set a brownie aside for myself to enjoy the next day, and let me tell you, the suspense was worth it! I can officially say that this is the BEST BROWNIE I have ever tasted! It is dense and fudgey, melty and gooey, and chocolatey beyond your wildest chocoholic dreams. Big rich chunks of semisweet chocolate are balanced with sweet white chocolate chips and the variations for this recipe are endless! I have already made another version of these as brownie bites with milk chocolate chunks, peanut butter chips and cups! Stay tuned…
I found my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe of all time awhile ago and now it feels so good to tell you that I have found the be all, end all brownie.
- ½ cup (8 Tbsp) unsalted butter
- 1½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped dark chocolate
- 1 cup coarsely chopped milk chocolate
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 8X8-inch pan with parchment paper overhanging the sides.
- In a large, microwave safe bowl, microwave butter to melt.
- Add chocolate chips and stir. Heat another 30 seconds and then stir until chocolate is mostly melted.
- Add sugars and salt and stir to combine.
- Add flour and mix to combine.
- Add eggs and oil and mix well.
- Mix in all chocolate.
- Bake ~36 minutes or until toothpick inserted into brownies comes out clean.
- Recipe adapted from Picky Palate
add chocolate chips and stir, reheat and stir until chocolate is melted
add sugars and salt and mix
add flour and mix
add eggs and oil and mix well
mix in chocolates